A changing table allows parents and caregivers to easily change an infant on an easily cleanable surface at a height that is convenient for them while providing ready access to diapers, accessories, and clothing. However, changing tables can also offer some potential dangers for babies, and all who use them should be aware of those hazards.
Follow the tips below to help your infant stay safe while using a changing table:
- 1 Choose a changing table with a concave top (where the middle is slightly lower than the edges) and at least 2" guardrails to help prevent the infant from rolling off.
- 2 Always fasten the safety belt, but don’t rely on it solely to keep your baby from falling off the table.
- 3 Never leave a child on a changing table unattended, even for just a second.
- 4 Keep diapers, wipes, and other supplies like powder within your reach, but out of your baby’s reach.
- 5 If the changing table has wheels on it, make sure they are locked before use.
- Diapers, wipes, and other materials are within easy reach.
- All buckles, guardrails, and surfaces are in good repair.
- The warranty/registration card has been completed and submitted to the manufacturer.