Found in homes, offices, and public buildings throughout the country, first aid kits are designed to help you in an emergency. However, if used incorrectly, some items can pose a hazard.
Follow the tips below to help make sure first aid items are used safely and appropriately:
- 1 Always keep a well-stocked first aid kit available in your home, car, workplace, boat, vacation home, or other location you frequent.
- 2 Take a first aid kit with you when hiking, camping, or in a remote location for an extended period of time.
- 3 Familiarize yourself with each item in your first aid kit – if you are unsure how to use an item, read the packaging instructions.
- 4 Check the kit every six months and replace any used, expired, or damaged components as necessary.
- 5 Do not use first aid items or devices for unintended purposes.
- 6 Include emergency contact numbers in your first aid kit in case you need them.
- First aid kits are located in all the appropriate places.
- All first aid items and devices are unexpired and in good working order.
- I am familiar with all the components of the first aid kit.